For over thirty years, Avon Riding Centre for the Disabled has provided the positive experience and proven therapeutic benefits of horse riding to children and adults with a wide range of complex special needs.
Avon Riding Centre is recognised as a ‘Centre of Excellence’ for disabled riding regionally and throughout the UK. The Centre enables around 200 disabled children and adults per week to benefit from a carefully structured programme of riding sessions, amounting to 7,500 individual rides annually.
We work with people living with over 30 different forms of difficulties: learning difficulties, neurological conditions, sensory disabilities and those on the autistic spectrum. They range in age from 4 to 78.
Riding helps people with disabilities in many ways: simply sitting up straight on a horse provides physiotherapy and core strengthening exercise without the need to coordinate or understand complex movements. Improved core strength means better balance, improved mobility in everyday life.
Riding is so much more than just physiotherapy. Horses are natural animal therapists, with huge empathy; they also give their riders access to the outdoors and nature, in our beautiful woodland; the opportunity to learn a skill – and take part in sport – boosts resilience and confidence. All this in a friendly, accepting environment and with the opportunity to make like-minded and often life-long friends.
Non Disabled Riding
Avon Riding Centre provides lessons for riders age 8 and above. Beginners lessons are limited, most lessons are for riders who can work in trot. We have an indoor and outdoor school, a full set of show jumps and extensive hacking. Group lessons have a maximum of 7 riders. We have a full size simulator to work on specific areas of improvement.
We welcome enquiries from anyone who would like to know more about our work. Why not contact us or, better still, drop in for a coffee and chat in our café and see for yourself the amazing work that the charity undertakes.
The Centre has a dedicated team of Staff, Trustees and Volunteers, click here to meet them.
Avon Riding Centre is pleased to have partnerships with:
- Autism Artists http://copingwithautism.co.uk/
- NFU Thornbury http://www.nfumutual.co.uk/bristol/thornbury-office.htm
- Helm Construction http://www.helm.uk.com/
- Alexandra Sticher www.alexandrashiatsu.co.uk
- Newsnibbles http://www.newsnibbles.co.uk/
- Upthink Ltd http://www.upthink.co.uk/
- Avon and Somerset Mounted Police
Avon Riding Centre is pleased to have a relationship with each of the following organisations:
- A member of the Riding for the Disabled Association – visit their website
- An approved British Horse Society riding school – visit their website
- A Pony Club Centre – visit their website
- HETI (Horses in Education and Therapy International). Visit their website
- The Institute Of Fundraising. Visit their website